16 + pregnant + don't know what to do? Don't be scared, we have resources 4 u. Learn more about your rights and what to do next.
Having an unplanned pregnancy can be scary for anyone regardless of their age, but if you’re a teen, you might be VERY overwhelmed and not sure what to do next. It's important to know your options so that you can make a decision that you are comfortable with.
If you are pregnant and decide to have the baby, you have the right to:
- Stay in school
- Take maternity leave from work
- Have enough time and a safe, private space to pump and store breast milk at school
- Receive child support from the father
- Place your baby up for adoption
- Change your mind after the baby is born
You can learn more about your rights as a pregnant or parenting teen here.
If you decide that you aren't ready to have a baby, you also have the right to get an abortion. Abortion is legal in California, both for teens and adults. You do not need anyone's permission and the law protects your privacy. Learn more about abortion here.