Do u know where 2 get emergency contraception (EC)? You can get it w/o a prescription at a pharmacy, no matter how old you are!
Teens in California can get EC over the counter at most pharmacies by simply walking in and paying for it.
Here are a few EC tips:
- It is completely different from the “abortion pill” – RU486
- It does NOT protect against STIs
- Take it as soon as possible after unprotected sex
- It is still effective up to FIVE days after unprotected sex
- You can take it as many times as you need – but better to practice SAFE SEX!
- Many teen clinics and other reproductive health clinics keep either Plan B®, Plan B 1 Step®, NextChoice®, or ella® IN their clinics – no need to even go to a pharmacy!
How does EC work?
EC is either one or two very safe pills made like a hormone your body makes. When a EC is taken soon after unprotected sex, it can prevent pregnancy by preventing ovulation. Ovulation is when the egg leaves the ovary. A pregnancy can’t happen when there is no egg to meet with sperm. (You can also get emergency contraception that also works as long-lasting birth control by getting a copper IUD inserted at a clinic.)
Where can I get emergency contraception?
- Teen Clinics in California can set you up with free EC – just drop in and sign up for Family Pact. Check out the clinic finder or go to http//familypact.org or call 1-800-942-1054 to find EC near you.
- The National EC Hotline website at www.not-2-late.com and 1-888-668-2528 can also be used to find EC anywhere in the United States.