We're THANKFUL that comprehensive sex ed is now REQUIRED in CA schools! Let us know what u think abt the sex ed ur getting at ur school
Comprehensive Sex Ed is now the law of the land in California!
All public schools in California are required by law to teach both comprehensive sex education and HIV prevention education at least once in middle school and once in high school.
Comprehensive sex education is more than just learning about anatomy and birth control. It means that students are taught about healthy relationships, decision-making, and more. Comprehensive sex ed is important because it gives students like you information to help you make healthy decisions when it comes to your relationships and sexual and reproductive health.
You can learn more about why comprehensive sex education is important here.
The sex ed curriculum you’re getting in school should include information about:
- Sexual harassment, sexual assault, and sex trafficking
- Adolescent relationship abuse, intimate partner violence and sexual coercion
- Sexual orientation and sexuality
- Gender identity, gender roles and gender stereotypes
- Healthy relationships
- Consent, communication and healthy decision-making
- HIV prevention and other STD prevention including testing and treatment
- Pregnancy prevention, parenting, adoption and abortion
It is your right to receive this information in school!