Can't afford condoms? The Condom Access Project (CAP) has you covered for free…literally!
Over here at TeenSource, we are excited to announce the launch of CAP (Condom Access Project), to make sure you all have access to free condoms year round. This is great because this week is not only Valentine’s week, but it is also National Condom Week! SWEET!
We know that buying condoms from your local drug store can be expensive and picking it up at a clinic can be embarrassing. So starting today, if you are a CA teen you will be able to get condoms in one of two ways:
1. BY MAIL: If you live in Alameda, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Kern County, or selected areas of San Francisco, you can go online and confidentially request a small package of 10 condoms, lubricant (to reduce the chance of breakage), and health brochures (with helpful info about STDs and birth control) be sent to your home . You can even go online and re-order condoms up to once a month!
2. BY PICK-UP: Check out our condom access map, featuring all of the sites all over CA where you can go and pick up free condoms. All you have to do is enter your city and zip code on the map and it will tell you where you can easily get FREE condoms near you.
If you don’t see a convenient place listed for you to get condoms, don’t worry. CAP is new on TeenSource and we will keep updating the map as we go. So check back for more condom access sites and feel free to provide feedback with comments below on what you think of CAP!
And just in case I haven’t mentioned it enough, remember that abstinence is the only 100% effective method to prevent STDs and pregnancy. BUT, if you are going to have sex, make sure you and your partner are ready and always use a condom. Condoms are the ONLY birth control method that provides protection against STDs/HIV.
If you think that having a condom on hand makes you look desperate for sex, check out these stats that show most teens think they look smart when they carry condoms.
- 38 percent think guys look “smart and prepared.”
- Only 7 percent think guys look like they are trying to look cool.
- 54 percent think girls look “prepared for anything, and smart, too!”
- Only 10 percent think girls look like sluts when they have a condom.
Have you talked to your parents about sex? Talking about sex with your parents might be awkward, but sometimes teens who talk to their folks about sex are more likely to make smarter decisions about sex, like having it safely and with the right kinds of partners. Plus, even if it grosses you out to think about it, your parents know their stuff when it comes to sex - and they're a lot easier to get in touch with than Dr. Drew