Talk it out! If ur having sex, talk w/ ur partner about safe sex, getting tested and tell them what u like BEFORE u get in bed!
Are you and your partner having sex? If so, let’s see how well you can answer this quick little quiz:
- Has your partner been tested for an STD?
- Has your partner ever tested positive for an STD?
- Does your partner want to know if you have been tested?
- Does your partner know your sexual boundaries and preferences? Do you know theirs?
If you answered “No”, “Maybe”, or “It’s been a while since we had that discussion…” to any of these questions, it is time to have a talk with your partner!
Does the thought of having that conversation make you nervous? Consider all of the following advantages:
- You and your partner will get to know each other better.
- You’ll both be more informed on the sexual decisions you are making.
- Talking about sex before you have it will probably make you feel more confident, comfortable and relaxed.
- Knowing each other’s STD history will help you take better protective measures, like using condoms even if you’re on another birth control method.
- Remember, when you have unprotected sex, you are actually sleeping with every other person your new partner has ever slept with. It’s a no-brainer, get talking and get tested.
Another great bonus to having this discussion is creating the opportunity to get tested together. Check out this Hookup tip to refresh your memory on how easy it is to get tested, and to determine when it’s a good time for you to get tested as well.
Lastly, check out these cool videos on MTV’s itsyoursexlife.com that feature real teen’s experiences talking to their partners about waiting to have sex, explaining an STD, and having safe sex.