Checklist for Teen-Friendly Services
The following are some of the key elements of a teen-friendly clinic:
- Staff is friendly, respectful, non-judgmental and helpful.
- Teen-oriented educational materials are available.
- Teen magazines and posters are in the waiting room.
- Materials and information are inclusive of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
- Space feels welcoming and inclusive of all sexual orientations and gender identities, perhaps demonstrated with a rainbow flag displayed inside or outside the clinic.
- Signs are posted stating that services are at no cost! Family PACT is advertised through posters/signs.
- Signs or handouts are available notifying youth that parental consent is not required for receiving sexual and reproductive health services, and parental notification will not be given.
- Measures to protect patient confidentiality are in place.
- Condoms are easily accessible and youth are not required to communicate with an adult staff member to pickup free condoms.
- Exam rooms are clean and private.
- Restrooms are provided for all gender identities.
- The location is easily accessible by public (bus) transportation.
- Clinic is open after-school and/or on weekends.
- A separate entrance and/or special hours for teens are available.
- The waiting room is private. Windows with view from the street are tinted or covered.
Adapted from “Clinical Linkages Workshop," March-April 2004 Funded by the California Department of Health Services, Office of Family Planning Contract # 01-15139 ETR Associates Training and Technical Assistance Project