Calling CA Teens: Apply to Join the TeenSource Youth Advisory Board!
TeenSource has a big announcement: we just launched our Youth Advisory Board (YAB), and we want YOU to get involved!
TeenSource is a hub where teens can get information about sexual and reproductive health written by and for California youth, and learn where to receive health care services. TeenSource.org is regularly updated to make sure you have the latest information about birth control, STDs, LBTQI issues and healthy relationships.
This is where you come in:
We are looking for teens to apply to our YAB who represent the geographic and ethnic diversity of California. We will build a YAB team that is inclusive and respectful of the full range of gender and sexual orientation identities.
What will YAB members do?
- Follow and engage with posts on our Instagram account
- Review and inform TeenSource content
- Write short blogs for TeenSource, HookUp tips, or develop teen-friendly social media content to spark conversations and connect youth to important health information and services
- Participate in YAB team discussions
Who Should Apply
- All teens ages 16-19 living in California are encouraged to apply.
- Ideal candidates care about sexual + reproductive health and having their voice heard!
YAB Membership Benefits
- $25 gift card each month (program lasts 10 months)
- An opportunity to network with peers in the group and mentors who are passionate about sexual and reproductive health
- It looks great on a resume! (TeenSource can help you figure out how to share it on your resume)
- It's a great way to have your voice be heard!
You can find out more on our short application, which you can find right here. Tell your friends and apply TODAY! Applications are due August 18th.
Other Youth Leadership Opportunities + Ideas
Here are some tips to learn about other youth advisory board and council opportunities:
- Check the website of a local nonprofit. Many nonprofits have youth boards that advise the organization on important youth issues. If you have a specific area of interest or are passionate about one area of policy, find an organization that works on those issues and visit their website to see if they have youth board opportunities.
- Check your city and county website! Many cities have webpages dedicated to their youth councils, which might even include application information. Download the application, follow the instructions on submission, and you’re good to go!
- Start your own youth council! Visit your city hall or contact your city council’s public relations office, and see what you can do to get an advisory body started.
- Speak your mind and share what you know – even if you don’t join a group, you can still be a leader by being a resource for your friends. Share TeenSource information about staying healthy and safe and remind your friends they can get FREE condoms and use the TeenSource Clinic Finder to get tested.
Ultimately, being part of a youth council is an invaluable experience you won’t regret. Whether you’re part of the TeenSource Youth Advisory Board, or another youth council, you’ll have fun making a difference among like-minded peers, while adding to your resume. These experiences will help you reach your goals and learn more about yourself and issues you care about.
We can’t wait to hear from you!